The First-Year Senator is elected by and from the first-year class during the fall semester to serve until the end of the Session.
Students seeking the position of First-Year Senator must have entered Drake University with a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or better, on a 4.0 scale.
The responsibilities of the position include:
- Attends weekly Thursday night meetings at 9:00PM
- Attends occasional executive meetings on Wednesdays at 9:00PM
- Hold at least one office hour per week
- Chairs the First Year Interest Committee
- First-Year Interest Committee (FYI) is comprised of all first-year student and strives to represent the first-year’s views and opinions to Student Senate. This is done through surveys and discussing issues concerning first-years at Drake. In addition to this, it works on Alcohol Awareness Week in the spring and host other small events throughout the year to open dialogue between Senate the first-year students.
- Represents the first-year class as a voice around the Senate table
- Has the opportunity to work on initiatives throughout the school year that they feel would benefit the first-year class
Elections for this position will most likely be towards the end of September. The official election calendar will be released at the Activities Fair.